The East Brunswick Jewish Center has brand-new young adult programming for 5778/2017-18! For more information about the program, contact Julie Schwarzwald, Education and Youth Director.
Kesher Bogrim Meets Thursdays, 6:30-8:15 pm
8th through 12th graders are part of the Young Adult Program that meets on Thursdays from 6:30 to 8:15 pm. Teens share dinner, dessert, and time to socialize before participating in short (1-3 week) modules that inspire them. Learners are invited to sign up for each topic that interests them. Sample topics might include:
- Mitzvah Modules: Study the text for mitzvot, then put theory into practice; for example, learn about saving a life, then learn CPR and hear from EMTs as you tour an ambulance
- Step Up for Israel: Jerusalem U’s mini-course on understanding the current conflict and learning how to be an effective advocate for Israel
- Speakers and films on contemporary issues
- Participating in EBJC and community events and mitzvah projects such as the JFS Passover Food Drive
- Visiting assisted living facilities and partnering with the Senior Adult League to celebrate holidays
- 12th graders will meet several times throughout the year with Rabbi Finkelstein to explore maintaining a Jewish identity beyond high school
Kesher Madrichim are 8th through 12th graders who volunteer their time to help with the K-7 Program on Sundays, Wednesdays, or Saturdays. Madrichim receive training and are typically assigned to a particular class to serve as leaders, role models, and assistants to the teacher.